These summer sleepover ideas help create one of the most fun summertime activities for kids and family — creative party tips for the most unforgettable and best summer sleepover fun kids will love!
Summer Sleepover Ideas for Kids
These summer sleepover ideas work whether you’re hosting a summer sleepover ideas for teenage girls, looking for summer sleepover activities, or even want end of summer sleepover ideas for kids!
Here are things to do at a summer sleepover…
What can you do at a summer sleepover?
What to do at a summer sleepover:
- Have a water balloon fight or squirt gun games
- Host a backyard carnival
- Create at DIY craft stations
- Play oversized lawn games or outdoor board games
- Sing karaoke or do TikTok challenges
- Have a bubble dance party
- Team up for backyard paintball
- Play truth or dare
- Watch fun movies on big outdoor screens
- Play summer charades
- Have fun with a pool party (or baby pool party if you don’t have a pool)
- Have a campfire and make s’mores and tell scary stories
- Have a foam dance party
- Create an outdoor olympic games obstacle course
- Make blanket forts
- At-home escape room
ALSO CHECK OUT: What To Bring To Sleepovers For Kids
19 Summer Sleepover Themes for Kids
- Summer Superheroes
- Under the Sea
- Outer Space
- Fairy Tales & Campfire Stories
- Arts & Crafts Sleepover
- Scavenger Hunt Sleepover
- Backyard Movie Party Sleepover
- Camping Out in Your Backyard
- Trampoline Tent Party
- Pizza & Pajama Party Sleepover
- Summer Olympic Games
- Wacky Water Sleepover (THINK: water games, water balloons, baby pools, squirt guns)
- Sports-Themed Sleepover
- Beach Party Sleepover
- Birthday Bash Sleepover
- Stargazing Sleepover
- Breakfast for Dinner Sleepover
- Food Fiesta Around The World Sleepover
- Spa Day Sleepover
How to Host a Fun Summer Sleepover for Kids
Tips For Summer Sleepover:
1. Choose a sleepover theme.
This can be based on a favorite movie, character, activity, or just something fun and whimsical. For a summer sleep over party, it’s fun to go with a warm weather theme (like beach or camping) or even something extreme (like Christmas in July sleepover!).
Be sure to have all of the props and decorations ready to go. This can include anything from superhero masks and capes to Olympic medals and flags.
2. Send out invitations well in advance.
Summers are busy for families, so be sure to get sleepover invitations out ASAP and allow time for guests to plan around summer vacations and getaways.
Also, let guests know the party theme, what to bring, and specify firm drop-off and pick-up times.
3. Plan some fun activities for the night.
Plan some theme activities like playing games [WE LOVE THESE OVERSIZED LAWN GAMES], watching movies, making crafts, or going on a scavenger hunt.
However, don’t plan every moment. Allow time for the kids just to have fun together!
4. Serve snacks and drinks that fit with the theme.
If you have a party theme, create some fun theme snacks to go with it.
5. Have extra sleepover stuff.
Be sure to include on the invitation if kids need to bring their own sleeping bags, blankets, and pillows.
Make sure to have plenty of pillows, blankets, and sleeping bags on hand in case some kids forget or you need extra.
It can be a lot of fun to sleep under the stars or in a teepee made out of sheets and blankets, so let the kids get creative with their sleeping space!
6. Create a sleepover survival kit.
Give each kid a mini sleepover kit that includes things like toothbrushes, toothpaste, fun socks, mini flashlights, and mini waters or juices and snacks.
This is not only a fun sleepover favor, but is also practical in case kids forget some items at home.
7. Let the summer sleepover party fun continue into the morning!
Serve up a special breakfast in the morning to cap off the sleepover. This can be anything from a pancakes bar to an easy yogurt and cereal bar.
8. Prep for pick-up.
Give kids plenty of notice and time to gather up their things well in advance of the pick up time! This will help with a smooth pick-up transition and prevent last minute running around and looking for items.
With these tips in mind, you’re sure to have a fun and memorable sleepover during summer!