A sleepunder party, sometimes called a daytime sleepover party, faux sleepover, half sleepover, or un-slumber party, is just like any slumber party events, except no actual sleeping over happens. (It’s a no-slumber party!) If you’re looking for ideas for 8 year old sleep under party (or sleepover ideas for younger kids), this sleepover alternative idea may work for you! (You can have a sleep under birthday party, too, instead of a regular kids sleepover party birthday!)
Fun Sleepunder Party Ideas For Kids
Sleep unders are similar to traditional sleepovers, but kids don’t spend the night (and still have all the slumber party fun!).
They make the best alternatives for sleepovers or if you want to know how do you say no to a sleepover for your kid!
List Of Things To Do For Kids At A Sleep-Under Party
Sleepunder Parties Activities:
- Encourage kids to wear comfortable, cozy pajamas (just like a regular pajama party!)
- Watch a movie
- Have a pillow fight
- Do sleepover crafts
- Eat popcorn and easy sleepover snacks
- Use fun photo props to take pictures for social media
- Have a scavenger hunt or treasure hunt
- Play games like tag, hide and seek, or catch, or traditional sleepover party games
- Make s’mores over the campfire and tell stories by the light of the campfire (get camping theme ideas here)
- Draw with chalk on the sidewalk or driveway or on big rolls of paper covering the floor
- Instead of sleep under tents, let the kids make a sleepover fort out of blankets and pillows to hang out in
- Play dress up
- Sing songs with a karaoke machine
- If it’s night, have a flashlight tag party in the dark or even in a dark basement
- Make it a theme un-sleepover party (get party sleep theme ideas here)
Don’t miss the full sleep-under for kids ideas below and the sleep under party meaning / what is a sleepunder party explanation below! Keep scrolling! You may also want to check out why no sleepovers / pros and cons.
ALSO CHECK OUT: Music sounds for sleep under party
If you’re not familiar with this concept, you may be wondering about the sleep under meaning…
What is a sleep under party?
A sleep-under is where you have a slumber party but instead of staying all night, the kids go home. Kids can still dress for the pajama party and do all the fun sleepover games, but they don’t spend the full night. It’s a great way to get the most out of your slumber party without having kids sleeping over at your house and a fun alternative to slumber parties for younger kids!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Virtual Pajama Party Ideas
How Do You Have A Sleepunder Party?
To have a sleepunder party, simply invite your child’s friends over for a slumber party, but be sure that parents know they will be picked up and not sleep over the entire night. Have plenty of games and activities planned for the evening, but when it’s time for bed, send the kids home with their parents!
Are there any tips for hosting a sleepunder party?
Here are a few tips for hosting a successful sleepunder party:
- Decorate your sleep-under party the same as a sleepover: sleeping bags, sleepover tents, pillows, and more!
- Be sure that parents know to have their kids dress in their jammies!
- Make sure you have plenty of activities planned for the evening so the kids don’t get bored.
- Be sure to have plenty of snacks and drinks on hand.
- Send the kids home with their parents when it’s time for bed.
- Make sure you have a designated driver to take the kids home and the parents are clear about the pick-up time.
Sleep Under Party Invitation Tips
Your sleepunder party invitation should include:
- An explanation of what is a sleep-under party (some parents may not be familiar with the sleepunder party concept)
- Recommendations on what kids should wear (fun pajamas!)
- A clear time that kids should be picked up from the sleepunder event
- Any special items the kids need to bring (or specifically mention they don’t need their own sleeping bags or pillows)
Sleep Under Games and Activities
Fun game ideas for a pajama party un-sleepover and sleep under ideas:
- Flashlight Tag
- Dance off with dance ribbons
- Kids Against Maturity
- Slime making kit
- Pin the Horn on the Unicorn
- Girl Talk (tweens and teens)
- Spa party
- Doodle Face
- Hot Potato
Any traditional slumber party games work well for sleep under party ideas, too!
Sleep Under Party Favors
Just like a regular slumber party, also put together fun sleepunder favor bags with things like:
- Gummy snacks
- Glow party favors
- Fun socks
- Bubble pop bracelets
- Cute eye masks (or try these DIY face masks, which doubles as a party craft!)
- Mini flashlights (especially if you’re doing a nighttime sleepunder party or playing flashlight tag games)
- LED hair scrunchies
- Wall tumbler sticky people
- Flip sequin keychain
- Fun glitter straws
- Fidget Spinners
Use fun favor boxes like these so it will be easy for kids to carry their party treats home!
Sleep under parties are great ideas if you want the fun of a slumber party, but don’t want to host kids spending the night!