A DIY silent disco party at home or headphones silent party (also called quiet clubbing, hush party, sound off party, silent rave, or headphone disco) is a fun party theme for all ages. With a little planning and understanding for silent disco set up, headphone parties are fun trending party ideas to have at home!
How To Throw A Silent Disco Party Friends Will Love!
How To Throw A Silent Disco Party At Home That Everyone Will Remember For Years!
Thinking about a headphone silent disco house party? Whether you’re looking to have a silent disco children’s party, need unique teen party ideas, or want a fun, trending party for any age, this silent disco and party theme works!
How To Host A Silent Disco Party Step-By-Step
Tips For The Silent Disco Party :
1. Plan ahead: Make sure you have all the necessary equipment, such as wireless headphones and a transmitter, and test every headset beforehand to ensure it’s all working properly.
The biggest cost for a quiet dance party — whether you rent or buy — will be silent disco party headphones and the bluetooth transmitter that you need so that everyone can hear the same music.
2. Create a playlist: Put together a playlist of songs that will get people dancing and having fun. Make sure to have a variety of genres to suit different tastes or stick to one specific type of music to go with your theme.
PARTY TIP: There are different silent disco apps you can use. (SEE BELOW!)
3. Set up the space: Clear out a space in your house where people can dance comfortably. Move any fragile items out of the way to prevent accidents.
4. Provide seating areas: Not everyone may want to dance the whole time, so make sure to provide seating areas for people to take a break and relax.
5. Decorate: Add some decorations to create a fun atmosphere. Consider using colored lighting / strobe lights, or other decorations that go with your specific theme.
6. Offer themed snacks and drinks: Have some refreshments available for your guests, such as finger foods, drinks, and water.
7. Invite the right crowd: Invite people who are fun-loving and enjoy dancing who will embrace a unique party theme!
8. Have a backup plan: In case of technical difficulties, have a backup plan in place, such as a backup sound system or an alternate activity.
9. Have fun: Lastly, don’t forget to have fun! A silent disco party can be a unique and memorable experience for everyone involved, so let loose and enjoy the music and dancing.
KEEP SCROLLING for fun ideas on how to plan a silent dance party, including technical information about setting up a headphones party. (Parties with headphones are super trendy right now!)
In case you’re new to this theme, let’s start with the meaning of silent disco party…
What is a silent disco party?
Well, imagine this: you’re at a party, surrounded by people dancing and having a great time, but there’s no music playing out loud. Instead, everyone is having a silent dance party with headphones.
Sounds weird, right? But that’s the basic idea behind a silent disco party!
From an outsider’s perspective, it might look a little bizarre to see people dancing without any audible music, but once you put on those headphones and get into the groove, it’s an absolute blast! Plus, since the music isn’t blaring out loud, you can actually carry on a conversation with your friends without having to yell over the music.
How does a silent disco party work?
Each guest wears a wireless headphone that is connected to a transmitter broadcasting musics. Depending on how the party host set up the music, guests may be able to switch between different channels of music and adjust the volume of their own headphones.
What equipment do I need for a silent disco party at home?
To host a silent disco party at home, you will need wireless headphones for each guest attending, a transmitter, a music source (like your cellphone), and a mixer (optional, for DJs). You may also need extension cords, power strips, and other equipment depending on the size of your party and the layout of your home.
How do I connect the headphones to the music source for a silent dance party?
The silent disco headphones are usually connected to the music source through a wireless transmitter. The transmitter can be connected to a phone, laptop, DJ mixer (if you hired a DJ), or other audio source. Some headphones also have built-in receivers that can be tuned to a specific frequency to receive the audio signal.
If you don’t want to do everything yourself, can you rent a silent disco?
Can I rent silent disco equipment for my home party?
Yes, many companies or silent DJ party disc jockeys rent out silent disco equipment for home parties, festivals, and other events. This is a good option if you don’t want to buy the equipment (it can be expensive, depending on the number of guests you have) or if you need additional equipment to accommodate a large number of party guests.
How many headphones do I need for a silent disco party at home?
The number of headphones you need will depend on the size of your party. As a general rule, you should have one headphone for each guest, plus a few extras in case of technical difficulties. Your silent disco setup will vary depending on the number of guests and how many channels of music you want to offer.
Can you have a silent disco without headphones?
Technically, a silent disco is defined as a party where people listen to music through wireless headphones rather than traditional speakers. However, if you want to have a similar party experience without headphones, you can create a “quiet” disco by using traditional speakers and limiting the volume, but it won’t be a true silent dance party. A headphone silent party really is about the headphones.
Is there an app for silent disco?
There are several apps that can be used for a silent disco party, like My Silent Disco Club. These apps allow guests to stream music directly to their headphones from a central source.
PARTY MUSIC TIP: You can also connect your phone to the transmitter and play your own custom playlist by broadcasting it or set up a Spotify queue.
How much is a silent disco party?
If you’re wondering how to host a silent disco at home, the first place you should start is the cost. Are you going to do a silent disco party rental, silent disco party box, look for silent disco party planners (who specialize in silent disco parties events), or a hire a DJ for silent disco party?
EXPERT PARTY TIP: Search silent disco party near me, silent party rental near me, silent disco equipment rental, or silent disco party rental if you’re interested in silent disco party hire out.
Silent Disco Cost
The cost of hosting a silent disco party at home can vary depending on several factors, including the number of guests, the equipment you need, and any additional costs such as food, drinks, or decorations. Here are some considerations to keep in mind when estimating the cost of a silent disco party:
Equipment: You will need to rent or purchase wireless headphones and a transmitter that can broadcast the music to the headphones. The cost of this equipment can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars, depending on the quality and quantity of equipment needed.
Music: You can hire a DJ or music provider to supply the music for your party or you can create your own playlist.
Venue: If you plan to host your party at home, you will need to consider the cost of any necessary decorations, furniture rental, or cleaning services.
Food and Drinks: If you plan to provide food and drinks for your guests, you will need to factor in the cost of catering or purchasing food and beverages.
Additional Costs: Depending on the theme of your party, you may need to purchase decorations, costumes, or other props to go with your party theme.
Although it’s hard to answer how much is silent disco rental or party, the cost of hosting a silent disco party at home can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars, depending on how elaborate you make the party and what you need for your party theme.
Let’s get to how to host a silent disco party! We hope these help with your how to have a silent disco party questions!
Tips For How To Do A Silent Disco Party At Your House
Silent Disco Party Equipment
For your silent rave, you will need headphones for silent disco party and also silent disco bluetooth transmitter (s) so that guests can hear the music.
You can rent them from party venues, or hire a party planner or silent disco DJ who provides the equipment.
You can also buy the headphones and transmitters in a silent disco home kit like this. I like that set because it has the lights that flash on the head phones that flash to the beat of the music, which makes it fun for a party.
DANCE PARTY TIP: If you have one transmitter, all guests will be listening to the same music (which I personally think is better). You will also need music headphones that have a multi-channel switch and a way to create a multistream of music if you want different channels of music. If you want guests to have access to more stations, you will need more transmitters and headphones that have multichannel.
Charge and test the headphones the night before and the morning of the party. (It can take around 3 hours for some headsets to charge!)
Right before the party guests arrive, turn on the music and make sure every headset is working. Having all the technical issues worked out and the headsets already playing music when the guests get there will make the party much better!
Silent Disco Party Themes
- Silent Disco Beach Party: Have a beach party theme and only play beach party music. Have a backyard beach bash and bring the beach to your backyard with beach balls, umbrellas, and tropical drinks.
- Spooky Silent Disco Party: Have people dress in spooky costumes and only play creepy music. (Great for a Halloween party theme idea!)
- Decades Party: Have everyone dress up in outfits from a specific decade and play music from that era.
- Disney Disco: Play only Disney songs and have guests dress as their favorite Disney characters.
- Silent Disco Glow Party: Use black lights and glow-in-the-dark decorations to create a unique atmosphere and play silent rave music. LEARN HOW TO THROW A GLOW PARTY HERE
- Country Hoedown: Play country music and have guests dress in boots, hats, and denim.
- Space Jams: Create a futuristic atmosphere with space-themed decorations and music.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Have guests dress as zombies and play horror movie soundtracks.
- Silent Dance PJ Party: Guests come dressed in pajamas and enjoy a casual and relaxed party with great music.
- Video Game Disco: Play video game music and have guests compete in a video game tournament. Bonus points if they dress as their favorite video game characters!
- 80s Prom: Have guests dress in 80s-style prom attire and play music from that era.
- Rock and Roll: Play classic rock music and have guests dress in 50s leather jackets and jeans or metal rock costumes.
- Hip Hop Throwback: Play music from the 90s and have guests dress in hip hop fashion from that era.
- Disco Fever Silent Party: Play music from the 70s and have guests dress in disco-themed attire.
Silent Disco Party Names
- Quiet Riot
- Silent Soundwaves
- Headphone Heaven
- Whispering Beats
- Noiseless Nights
- Hush Hush House Party
- Mute Music Fest
- Silent Disco Inferno
- Secret Serenade
- Silent Shindig
- Peaceful Party
- Hushed Hype
- Silent Celebration
- Muffled Melodies
- Silent Sensations
- The Quiet Groove
- Noise-Free Nostalgia
- The Silent Beat
- Silent Symphony
- Volumeless Vibes
- The Silent Rave
- Serene Soundscapes
- Noise-Canceling Nights
Silent Disco Party Games
Musical Chairs – This classic party game can be played with silent disco headphones. Start by arranging chairs in a circle, with one less chair than the number of players. Turn on the music and have everyone dance around the chairs. When the music stops, everyone must quickly find a chair to sit on. The person who is left standing is out. Remove one chair and repeat until only one player is left.
Dance Battle – Split the group into two teams and have them take turns performing short dance routines with the music playing through their headphones. The other team can cheer and clap, but they must remain silent. A panel of judges or the opposing team can rate each performance based on creativity, energy, and overall performance.
Name That Tune – Create a playlist of popular songs and play a short clip of each one through the headphones. The first player to guess the name of the song correctly earns a point. The player with the most points at the end of the game wins.
Freeze Dance – Start playing music and have everyone dance around. When the music stops, everyone must freeze in place. If someone moves or laughs, they’re out. Continue until only one player is left.
Follow the Leader – One player is chosen to be the leader and performs dance moves while wearing their headphones. The other players must follow along and try to copy the moves exactly. The player who makes the most mistakes is out, and a new leader is chosen for the next round.
How To Have A Virtual Silent Disco Party
Did you know you can have online silent dances, too? (Makes for a great virtual sleepover idea for kids or teens!) If you do this you only have to buy one headphone for the headphone party and let the other kids get their own!
Whats silent disco online?
A virtual silent disco is where you connect with friends in different places with an online platform (like Zoom) and have your quiet rave party online!
Having a virtual silent disco party is a great way to have fun and connect with friends or family members who are far away.
How To Have Online Silent Disco Parties
- Choose a virtual platform: There are several virtual platforms that you can use to host a virtual silent disco party such as Zoom, Skype, Google Meet, or Discord. Choose the platform that works best for you and your guests.
- Set up the music: You can use a DJ software or mix software (or other online platforms) to create a playlist of music that you want to play during the party. Make sure to include a variety of music genres to cater to everyone’s tastes. You can also use a music streaming service like Spotify or Apple Music.
- Invite your guests: Send out invitations to your guests with the time, date, and virtual platform details for the party. Encourage them to dress up in their best disco outfits (or whatever party theme you’re having) and to have their wireless headphones ready. Explain to them how the silent disco will work.
- Connect the music to the virtual platform: Use the audio sharing feature on your virtual platform to connect your music source to the platform. You can also use a software like OBS (Open Broadcasting Software) to mix the audio and video streams for a more immersive experience.
- Enjoy the party: Start the music and encourage your guests to dance and have fun. You can use the chat to communicate and also the video features on the virtual platform to interact with your friends and see them dancing to the music.
Silent Discos FAQS
Here are some of the questions we get to go along with what is the silent disco…
When did silent discos start?
The concept of a silent disco can be traced back to the 1990s, when silent raves were organized as a form of protest against noise pollution in the UK. These events were usually held in public spaces and involved people dancing to music played through headphones, rather than through speakers.
The modern silent disco as we know it today, however, didn’t really take off until the early 2000s. The first documented silent disco event was held at the Glastonbury Festival in 2005, where a silent disco tent was set up as a way for festival-goers to party late into the night without disturbing nearby campsites.
From there, the trend spread quickly, with silent discos popping up at music festivals, nightclubs, and even private events like weddings and corporate parties. Today, silent discos are a popular form of entertainment all around the world, offering a unique and immersive way to experience music and dance.
Why are silent discos a thing?
Silent discos are a thing because they offer a unique and fun way to party without disturbing others. In traditional parties or concerts, the music is usually played through speakers and can be heard by everyone in the vicinity, whether they want to or not. This can be a problem, especially in residential areas or places with noise restrictions.
Silent discos solve this problem by providing wireless headphones to party-goers. The music is broadcasted through the headphones, allowing people to dance and enjoy the music without disturbing others. In addition, silent discos can also offer multiple music channels, giving party-goers a choice of music genres to listen to and dance to.
Silent discos have become increasingly popular in recent years, not just because they provide a solution to noise restrictions but also because they are a fun and unique way to party. With the wireless headphones, people can dance together and enjoy the same music, while also having a personal and immersive listening experience. They are also a great way to connect with other party-goers and make new friends.
What kind of music should I play at a silent disco party?
You can play any kind of music you like at a silent disco party, but it’s a good idea to have a variety of genres and styles to cater to different tastes. You may also want to have multiple music channels so guests can switch between different types of music. If you’re having a specific party theme (like a 70s party), stick to the genre of music for that theme.
Do I need to provide any other entertainment besides music for a silent disco party?
It depends on the type of party you are hosting. For silent raves, music and dancing are usually the main entertainment. However, you may want to provide other activities like games, photo booths, or dance contests (along with food and drinks) to keep guests engaged. Remember, not everyone will be dancing!
Are silent discos awkward?
Silent discos can be awkward for some people, especially if they are not used to the concept of wearing headphones while dancing. However, with a little bit of time and getting used to it, most people find that silent discos are just as fun as regular parties, if not more.
Another reason silent discos may seem weird is (at first) the lack of music coming from speakers can create a uncomfortable silence in the room, making it feel a bit awkward or strange. However, once people start dancing and the music starts playing through their headphones, this feeling usually fades away.
The trick to a fun silent dance party is to invite people who will embrace this party technology and have fun with it. (This probably isn’t the party to invite people who don’t like to join in.)
Are silent parties fun?
Yes, silent parties can be a lot of fun! In fact, many people who attend silent parties say that they are one of the most enjoyable and unique party experiences they’ve ever had!
One of the reasons why silent parties are so much fun is because they offer a unique and immersive listening experience. With the wireless headphones, you can hear the music and feel like you’re right in the middle of it, which can be a lot of fun, especially if you’re a music lover.
They also offer a social and interactive experience. Even though everyone is wearing headphones, you can still dance and interact with others in the same way you would at a regular party. And because the music is transmitted directly to your headphones, you can change the channel to find music that you love, which can create a more personalized and enjoyable experience.
CHECK OUT ANOTHER FUN AND TRENDY PARTY IDEA: NEON GLOW PARTY THEME
We hoped we helped answer what is silent disco, given you fun tips for at home silent disco, and answered more quiet rave party questions!