Mardi Gras party music is an important part of any Mardi Gras sleepover party or fun Fat Tuesday Party. In your mix of Mardi Gras music, be sure to include a variety of Cajun music, Zydeco, Blues, jazz Mardi Gras music, and native New Orleans singers and performers like Louis Armstrong and Jelly Roll Morton!
Best Mardi Gras Party Music
These New Orleans hits and favorite Louisiana artists music and more are perfect for a party for Mardi Gras and music for Fat Tuesday!
You can even pick one as your New Orleans Mardi Gras theme song!
Mardi Gras Party Music Ideas and Fun Parade Music
What kind of music do you play at a Mardi Gras party?
- Carnival Time Mardi Gras Song (Carnival Time by Al Johnson)
- Mardi Gras Mambo by The Hawketts
- Iko Iko by Dr. John
- Professor Longhair Go To The Mardi Gras
- When The Saints Go Marching In by Louis Armstrong (many people consider as a traditional Mardi Gras song)
- Mardi Gras in New Orleans by Dirty Dozen Brass Band
- Congo Square by Cyril Nevil
- Hurricane Season by Trombone Shorty
- Hey Pocky A-Way by The Meters
- Jambalaya Strut by Michael White
- Down by the Riverside by The Dirty Dozen Band
- Pie-Eyed Manc by Groove Alchemy
- Street Parade by Earl King
- Carnival Classics Rebirth Brass Band
- Walking To New Orleans by Fats Domino
- Rock, Boogie, Shout by Buckwheat Zydeco
- Do Whatcha Wanna Rebirth Brass Band
- Go to the Mardi Gras by Professor Longhair
- Feel Like Funkin’ it Up Rebirth Brass Band
See the complete list of Mardi Gras party music and Cajun Mardi Gras songs below for fun how to celebrate Mardi Gras with kids ideas. KEEP SCROLLING for the best Mardi Gras songs (aka: Fat Tuesday songs / Shrove Tuesday music / New Orleans party songs)!
What is Mardi Gras music?
Mardi Gras music is generally the music that you hear played in Mardi Gras parades and on Fat Tuesday. Songs are mainly played on brass instruments like trombones, trumpets, and tubas, along with percussion drums.
ALSO CHECK OUT: HOW TO HAVE A MARDI GRAS THEME PARTY
What type of music is played for Mardi Gras party?
The most popular music for Mardi Gras party Carnival is brass music, rhythm and blues, jazz and zydeco. These are the songs that you’ll generally hear during the parade, upbeat and music that people can dance to that creates a party atmosphere.
Also popular for Fat Tuesday, you may also hear New Orleans natives like Louis Armstrong and local artists.
Any of these would be fun for a Mardi Gras parade for kids, Mari Gras Day party, preschool Mardi Gras party / Mardi Gras for kindergarten ideas (kindergarten celebration songs), fun freeze dance songs, Mardi Gras songs for kids playlist for a dance party / Mardi Gras dance theme, or even Mardi Gras music lesson ideas / Mardi Gras lesson plan — which makes for fun Mardi Gras activities for the classroom!
Songs about Mardi Gras are also fun to learn about New Orleans culture and the different cultures of Mardi Gras.
Definitely add learning about the history of Mardi Gras music!
Fat Tuesday Mardi Gras Party Music
These are some of the most popular Mardi Gras songs for kids party and fun parade music of Mardi Gras.
If you are planning a New Orleans music themed carnival, these can be used as inspirations for your party (or many other songs with Mardi Gras in the lyrics or title!).
Most of the following list is from adult oriented local artists from New Orleans area or jazz and blues musicians from around the world and are considered Mardi Gras anthems, but many can also be used for kids Mardi Gras activities.
Be sure to preview the lyrics if you’re using the music for kids’ parties.
You may notice some repeat titles that were recorded by other artists.
Don’t be afraid to add duplicate songs to your playlist for Mardi Gras if they are done by other bands.
They often bring a different flavor to the song in their versions!
ALSO CHECK OUT THESE MARDI GRAS PARTY PLAYLISTS / PARADE PLAYLIST IDEAS:
(definitely add to your New Orleans Mardi Gras music play list!)
Kidz Bop Celebration
(mix of songs including Mardi Gras party songs)
55 Great Songs For Your Mardi Gras Playlist
The best Mardi Gras music playlist and Fat Tuesday song ideas:
1. Iko Iko – The Belle Stars (one of the most popular Mardi Gras party song / famous Mardi Gras song!)
2. Washboard – The New Orleans Nightcrawlers
3. Mardi Gras Mambo – Art Neville & Louisiana Spice
4. Right Place, Wrong Time – Dr. John
5. You Got To Be Crazy About Mardi Gras – Eddie Bo
6. When the Saints Go Marching In – Louis Armstrong
7. Mardi Gras Mambo – Preservation Hall Jazz Band & Friends
8. Strange Things Happen Every Day – Eddie Bo
9. Hey Pocky A-Way (A Tribute To The Indians) – Dr. John and The Wild Magnolias
10. Y’all Come Back Saloon – Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
11. Iko Iko – Dr. John
12. Big Chief – The Meters
13. Mardi Gras Mambo – Louis Prima and His Orchestra
14. Shake Your Gourd – Jefferson Parish Zydeco Angels
15. Hi Heel Sneakers – Fats Domino
16. Let the Good Times Roll – Shirley & Lee
17. Stagger Lee – Lloyd Price
18. Stompin’ at The Savoy – Arnaud’s Night Club Orchestra
20. Big Chief Agent M – New Orleans Klezmer All Stars
21. Mardi Gras Mambo – Dr. John
22. Big Chief – The Meters
23. Bourbon Street Parade #1 – Paul Barbarin and His New Orleans Boys
24. It Ain’t My Fault – Frankie Ford
25. Little Liza Jane – Clarence “Frogman” Henry
26. Yes, I’m In The Barrel – Otis Spann et al.
27. Mardi Gras In New Orleans – Chuck Carbo
29. Mardi Gras Mambo – Louis Prima
30. Mardi Gras Blues – Professor Longhair
31. Let’s Go Get ‘Em – Eddie Bo
32. Right Place, Wrong Time – Dr John
33. Bourbon Street Parade #1 – Paul Barbarin and His New Orleans Boys
34. The Mardi Gras Indian Song – Jambalaya
35. The Night Before Mardi Gras – Clarence “Frogman” Henry
36. Mardi Gras in New Orleans – Chuck Carbo
37. Big Chief – Professor Longhair [New Orleans native]
38. Ring My Bell – Etta James
41. Mardi Gras in New Orleans – Chuck Carbo
42. Big Chief – Professor Longhair [New Orleans Native]
43. It Ain’t My Fault – Frankie Ford
44. Mardi Gras in New Orleans – Chuck Carbo
45. Gulf Coast Blues – King Oliver and His Dixie Syncopators [New Orleans native]
46. Bourbon Street Parade #1 – Paul Barbarin & His New Orleans Boys [New Orleans Native]
47. Big Chief – Professor Longhair [New Orleans native]
48. Right Place, Wrong Time – Dr John
49. Mardi Gras Mambo – Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Friends
50. Cheap Tricks And H tricks – The Meters
51. Iko Iko – Buckwheat Zydeco & Louisiana Sun Band
52. Bourbon Street Parade #1 – Paul Barbarin & His New Orleans Boys [New Orleans Native]
53. Mardi Gras Mambo – Louis Prima and His Orchestra
54. Iko Iko – Dr John
55. The Right Time (Live) – Dr John & The Wild Magnolias
What are your songs for Mardi Gras party? Let us know what music we missed for Mardi Gras Carnival music and we’ll add it to our musical list!