A back to school sleepover is a great, fun way to get ready for going to school. This fun and unique slumber party idea is perfect for kids and teens who want to have some end of summer fun with their friends before the first day of school.
HOW TO HAVE A BACK TO SCHOOL SLEEPOVER
Do you want to give your kids a fun, memorable experience before they head back to school? Why not plan a back to school sleepover with their friends in the last few days of summer and help celebrate with their friends!
What is a back to school sleepover?
A back to school sleepover is a fun way to get ready for the first day of school. It’s one last slumber party of the summer before starting school. It marks the end of summer and the start of the year!
What do you do at a school sleepover?
- Have a crazy back to school hair contest
- Create back-to-school crafts
- Host a school supplies scavenger hunt
- Do a funny back to school TikTok challenge
- Paint back to school t-shirts
- Take crazy pictures with back-to-school photo props
- Play back to school bingo
- Have a back-to-school spa night
- Play “Would You Rather…During School” and come up with funny at school scenarios
- Eat school snacks and fun school theme foods
- Have a trampoline sleepover
- Play chalkboard Pictionary (and all drawing clue items need to be school related)
What To Do At A Back To School Sleepover
When the summer is finally over, you know that it’s time to go back to school. And let’s face it, some kids don’t exactly look forward to going back.
We want to make your child’s first day back fun and memorable so why not have a special slumber party with all their friends before the first day of school! Be sure to include our fun back to school activities and ideas!
Back to School Sleepover Idea 1: Theme Sleepover Crafts
Set up back-to-school craft stations with items like:
- Friendship bracelets making
- DIY backpack tags
- DIY pencil case holders
- Tumbler (Straw Cup) decorating
- Back to school bookmarks scratch offs
Customize your gifts for the age range. Whether it be kids, back to school crafts for tweens, or even teens, they’ll love these DIY ideas for school projects!
Back to School Sleepover Idea 2: Crazy First Day Of School Look
Provide a box of crazy dress up clothes, funny hair items (like temporary hair chalk), face paint, hats and more and let everyone create a crazy back to school look.
Give out prizes for best dressed, craziest hair, teacher’s pet and more! (I love these mini trophies that you can write your own categories on!)
Back to School Sleepover Idea 3: Sleepover Games
Play theme sleepover games like:
- “I’m going to school and in my backpack I have…” (Start with A, then B, then C, etc. through the whole alphabet. Each person adds a new item for their letter and has to name all the previous items everyone added. For example, “I’m going to school and in my backpack I have and apple, a book, and a calculator.”)
- Back to School Bingo (give out school supply prizes to winners)
- Backpack Scavenger Hunt (the person who finds the backpack gets to keep the bag and all the items in it)
- Back To School I Spy (only items that would be used for school)
ALSO CHECK OUT: Happy First Day of Homeschool and School Activities and Ideas
Back to School Sleepover Idea 4: Have a School Supply Scavenger Hunt
Give out school bag totes (bonus if you get the ones they can decorate) and send your sleepover kids on a school supply scavenger hunt. (Make sure you get enough supplies for each scavenger hunt clue for each kid.)
Send them around the house (or outside) with a different clue for each supply. By the end, the kids have a tote with supplies that will help them start school!
Back to School Sleepover Idea 5: Back to School Favor Pack
Don’t forget party favors!
Fill these cute back to school favor boxes with items like:
- Single packs of tissues
- Antibacterial wipes
- Water bottle, laptop, or lunch box stickers
- Ring Pops
- Gummy worms
- Granola bars
- Mini hand sanitizers
- Cool pens, pencils, or markers
- Fun erasers
- Neon sunglasses
Or any other fun things for back to school!
Back to School Sleepover Idea 6: Give Back To Other Students
Use your back to school slumber party to do something good for others and stuff some string backpacks with extra items that the school can give out to kids in need. Check your school list or even with the teacher or principal for direction on what is needed.
Also, don’t forget about the teachers! Your sleepover guests can put together fun bags full of classroom extras (think: pencils, crayons, tissues, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitizers, etc.) to gift to teachers on the first day!