Oh The Places You’ll Go high school graduation is a perfect party theme for high school graduation party ideas! (It’s also great for college graduation party ideas as grad students start their next chapter in life!) We’ll give you theme ideas for oh the places you’ll go decorations, Seuss party food ideas, fun graduation games and more!
Oh The Places You’ll Go High School Graduation Theme
This celebration theme is based on the book Oh The Places You’ll Go Dr Seuss. You can’t get a much better party theme than oh the places you’ll go for high school graduation and a party at home after a graduation ceremony!
(Plus, it makes one of those great graduation party names!)
Oh The Places Youll Go Graduation Party Ideas
Seuss Themed Graduation Ideas:
- Have guests write life advice in Oh The Places You’ll Go book by Dr. Seuss for the graduate (or use it as a Oh the Places You’ll Go party guestbook)
- Decorate with quotes from the Seuss book
- Scatter Oh The Places Youll Go balloons around the party area (like the balloons on the book cover) with book quotes written on them
- Play The Places You’ll Go bingo (and give away Seuss themed gifts or prizes)
- Use maps as table mats and decorations (head to the thrift store for cheap map books or encyclopedias with maps and rip the pages out!)
- Ask the grad Oh The Places Youll Go questions and see if guests can guess the student’s answers
- Make a fun DIY Oh The Places Youll Go backdrop for selfies and fun graduation pictures (see examples below)
- Have fun with the Places They’ve Been guessing game (directions below)
- Use mini suitcase favor boxes for small candies for guests
- Decorate with hot air balloons
Don’t miss the full Oh The Places You’ll Go for graduation themed party ideas and DIY graduation party ideas below. Keep scrolling!
Why throw a Oh The Places Youll Go grad party?
Why Is Oh The Places You’ll Go a good theme for high school graduation?
1. It’s a theme about dreaming big and looking towards the future.
For many seniors, this is a time of mixed emotions: they’re excited to be moving on to the next chapter in their lives, but also a little bit scared about what lies ahead.
Oh The Places You’ll Go for high school graduation is a reminder that no matter what happens, they can conquer anything as long as they stay true to themselves.
2. This graduation theme is about embracing change.
Life after high school is going to be drastically different than life during high school. This book celebrates that and finding your own way. It’s okay to be scared about the future, but it’s also important to be excited about all the new possibilities that await.
3. Oh The Places You’ll Go is a positive message of hope.
No matter what challenges come their way, graduates can stay positive and keep moving forward. This attitude is essential for success in the real world.
So if you’re looking for a graduation party theme that is inspiring, positive, and full of hope, Oh The Places You’ll Go is perfect!
ALSO CHECK OUT: Fun Senior Sleepover Ideas
OK! Let’s get to the Oh The Places You’ll Go graduation theme tips, including fun Oh The Places You’ll go decor!
Oh The Places You’ll Go High School Graduation Theme Ideas
Oh The Places Youll Go Decorations
Oh The Places You’ll Go graduation party decor can be fun, whimsical and simple! The graduation party color themes for Oh The Places You’ll Go are: blue, yellow, orange, pink, white, and light green like on the book cover. (Think: more bright pastel graduation decorations than neon colors or deep tones!)
- Put up an Oh The Places You’ll Go Banner (this is another fun banner option)
- Use this theme party color curtain for an Oh The Places You’ll Go backdrop (I also REALLY LOVE this backdrop! If you’re looking for one that looks like the book cover, try this.)
- Decorate with Oh The Places You’ll Go balloons
- Grab these Oh The Places You’ll Go Plates
- Scatter these cheap Dr. Seuss bookmarks as table decorations and party favors (encourage your guests to take them!)
- Write Dr Seuss quotes on these
- Use cutouts like this as table decorations (get these inexpensive sign stands to use with them)
- Make a places you’ll go balloon photo backdrop (like this)
- Hang mini hot air balloons (or this 3D garland) from the ceiling or trees if you’re having an outdoor graduation party
- Use mini Seuss memo pads as table party favors (these fun theme pencils are great to go with it!)
- Give out mini suitcases with candy as party favors and globe stress balls that guests can take home
Oh The Places You’ll Go Quotes
Decorate with oh the places you ll go quotes from the book. You can make a DIY oh the places you’ll go balloon printable template and write the quotes on there or use these fun quote bubbles.
“Oh, the Places You’ll Go! And when things start to happen, don’t worry, don’t stew. Just go right along, you’ll start happening too!”
“You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!”
“Don’t be afraid to fly! Be brave and strong and smart! You can do anything you put your mind to!”
“It’s always wise to be a little crazy.”
“So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s a Great Balancing Act.”
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
“And will you succeed? Yes, you will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)”
Oh the places you ll go graduation party gift idea: Need a grad gift? Give the graduate a copy of Oh The Places You’ll Go book. Have all the party guests sign the book with a piece of life advice.
Oh The Places You’ll Go Graduation Food Ideas
For an Oh The Places You’ll Go party, you’ll definitely want to add some theme party foods!
- Have an Oh The Places You’ll Go cake with a fun Let The Adventure Begin cake topper
- Doing graduation cupcakes instead? Use this fun Seuss cupcake tower
- Fill mini globes (like this) with candy for party favors for guests
- Mini chocolate globes look great in bowls on tables
- Globe cookies or hot air balloon or balloon cookies
- Swirl cookies in the book theme colors
Dr Seuss Oh The Places You’ll Go Party Games and Seuss Inspired Ideas for Games
When throwing a graduation party, it’s important to have plenty of fun activities for guests of all ages to enjoy.
What would this grad party be without Dr Seuss game ideas? One way to do this is by incorporating games that are inspired by Dr. Seuss’ beloved book, “Oh the Places You’ll Go!”
Fun Seuss-themed games for a graduation party:
1. Pin the Cat’s Hat on the Grad
Print out a picture of the graduate and then use Cat in the Hat cutouts to try to pin the hat on the grad (picture).
2. Guess the Seuss Quote
Make a printout of Dr. Seuss quotes. At the bottom, put a list of Dr. Seuss children’s books. Set a timer and the person who matches the most correct quotes to the book wins a prize.
3. Oh The Places You’ll Go Scavenger Hunt
Break guests into teams. Make a Seuss themed scavenger hunt (clues that rhyme like Dr. Seuss) that leads the guests on a fun challenge around the house or yard. First team wins a fun prize.
4. Places You’re Going Obstacle Course
Create an obstacle course that is inspired by the different places in “Oh the Places You’ll Go!” Make sure there are plenty of challenges for guests of all ages to complete. Try stations with games like swingin’ shoes, toss-n-catch, sack races, and spoon races.
5. Balloon Race
Blow up a bunch of balloons in the Seuss party theme colors. Divide guests into two teams, and have them race to see who can pop the most balloons by popping them in different ways at different stations. For example, one station a guest has to pop balloons by sitting on it, another two people have to pop the balloon without their hands, etc. The team that pops the most balloons in the shortest amount of time wins!
6. Oh! The Places They’ve Been!
On magnetic cards (like this), write a list of cities, states, and countries that the graduate has traveled to and throw in some cities, states, and countries that the graduate has not visited. (You’ll have to write two of each city, state, country.) Divide the guests into teams and place them in front of magnetic boards. On GO! each team has to place the magnetic city, state, country cards where the graduate has visited on the board. When they think they have it right, they scream, “DONE!” If they have ones wrong, tell them the number they have wrong, but not which ones. (Like, “You have three wrong!”) They have to guess again. The first team to get the list right wins a GOOD prize.
ALTERNATIVE PLAY: Play “OH! The things they’ve said!” with graduate quotes (and other things they didn’t say).
7. Places You’ll Go Building Game
Use these tiles and divide your team into groups. (You’ll need two sets of tiles.) Have them compete to build different items the fastest.
8. Places You’ll Go Bounce Off
We hope these ideas have given you a good starting point for planning your own high school graduation party. So put on your thinking cap and go to Graduation Party planning! Congratulations, graduate! We wish you all the best in the places you’ll go.