A Christmas tree campout is one of the most fun holiday family activities! Make it a new addition to your list of holiday traditions, Christmas sleepover ideas, or even a fun winter slumber party. If you’re wondering how to make Christmas magical, this is one of those ways!
How To Have a Christmas Tree Campout
What is a Christmas tree campout?
A Christmas Tree Campout is a living room sleepover under the decorated Christmas tree! The family picks one night during the holiday season and sleeps in sleeping bags around the Christmas tree. You can include holiday movies, hot chocolate, and even string popcorn garland for the tree. Lying on the floor and looking up at the Christmas tree seems to make Christmas more magical!
If you’re looking for holiday traditions to start with family, this is a fun one because sleeping under the Christmas tree is something everyone should experience at least once!
(My husband said sleeping underneath the Christmas tree was a tradition at his house and is one of his best childhood memories with the glow of Christmas lights on his face!)
Some people even try sleeping under the tree on Christmas Eve to see if they can “catch” Santa!
It’s fun to enjoy the tree this way because the family is all together and can be a calming time during the hectic holidays.
If you area doing different Countdown to Christmas events each night, definitely add this to the list of holiday activities.
ALSO CHECK OUT: Snow Day Activities For Adults
Need ideas for what to do at a sleepover Christmas tree campout and how to create an indoor Christmas camping experience?
What can I do at a family Christmas campout?
Fun Christmas Tree Campout Ideas:
- Dress in comfortable pajamas
- Arrange lots of sleeping bags, blankets, and pillows all around and under the Christmas tree
- Turn off all the room lights and leave on only the Christmas tree lights and other decorative Christmas lights
- Set a festive mood with Christmas music
- Decorate with Christmas tree themes
- Have a fireplace? Turn it on! (You can even roast s’mores over it! Put together a fun indoor Christmas s’mores kit and use an indoor smore Christmas maker!)
- Make campout Christmas decorations and DIY handmade ornaments
- Share favorite Christmas memories while staring up at the tree
- Decorate cookies (especially Christmas tree Christmas cookies!)
- Have a small gift exchange with DIY gifts that were made before the party
- Make gingerbread houses
- Play holiday games like the Christmas sock exchange game
- Have a Polar Express night
- Make Magic Reindeer Food for Santa’s reindeer on Christmas Eve
- Take turns reading favorite children’s Christmas books
- Make up and tell holiday stories
- Listen to Christmas themed audio books
- Do Christmas MadLibs
- Make a charcuterie platter for sleepover snacks
- String popcorn garland for the tree
- Make a hot chocolate charcuterie tray and have hot chocolate
- Create a Not A Creature Was Stirring craft
- Make indoor s’mores
- Surprise everyone with a holiday sleepover kit that includes snacks, festive holiday socks, 3D Christmas lights glasses, Santa hats and more
- Watch your favorite Christmas shows (think: Rudolph, Frosty The Snowman, Year Without A Santa Claus, A Christmas Story, etc.)
- Watch holiday movies you’ve probably never seen! (It’s fun sleeping Christmas movie on!)
You can even include family members from far away and make it a virtual holiday sleepover where everyone gathers around their respective Christmas trees for an online sleepover for a sleeping under Christmas tree party theme!
YOU’LL ALSO HAVE FUN WITH:
Games for a Christmas Tree Campout
You can have a lot of fun with indoor camping ideas for Christmas tree campout and kids activities!
Make your own Christmas tree camp at home with these ideas…
What are good games for a family Christmas sleepover?
- Plastic Wrap Ball Game
- Snowman Paper Plate On Head Game
- Gift Exchange Bingo
- Unwrap The Candy Bar Game
- Santa Go Fish!
- Rudolph Board Game
- Elf Movie Trivia
- Grinch Grow Your Heart Card Game
Or, play any of your favorite family games.
Can you sleep with your Christmas tree on?
If you’re sleeping under the Christmas tree (near the tree), it’s OK to leave the lights on for one night. (Make sure your real tree has plenty of water!) However, experts recommend unplugging your Christmas tree lights and outdoor lights each night just to be safe.
Just enjoy being together for your Christmas tree sleepover party!
(By the way, it doesn’t matter if you have a real or fake camping Christmas tree!)
Will you add this as part of your new holiday traditions to start?
(If you’ve never done it, consider camping out under the Christmas tree this year!)
We hope you have fun with these Christmas camping ideas…